Skip Header to Content
GLAD Logo GLAD Logo Skip Primary Navigation to Content

Transgender ID Project

Free resources for transgender people living in New England (Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island or Vermont) seeking to update their legal name and gender on federal and state documents.

Self-Directed Guides

In most cases you do not need to work with a lawyer to update your name or gender marker on ID documents and can typically update these documents fairly easily on your own. See our Quick Reference Guides for help updating the following documents:

  • Legal name change
  • Social Security card
  • Passport
  • Driver’s license/state-issued identification card
  • Birth certificate

This is a joint project of GLBTQ Legal Advocates & Defenders (GLAD), Ropes & Gray LLP, Goodwin, and Massachusetts Transgender Political Coalition (MTPC).