GLAD is at the cutting edge of the historic fight for full equality and justice. Through impact litigation, education and public policy work, GLAD’s precedent-setting work has established anti-discrimination laws for transgender, gay, lesbian and bisexual people and protected the rights of those with HIV throughout New England.
GLAD is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from transgender persons, people of color, and individuals with disabilities, including HIV.
GLAD has a commitment to communication, diversity, team work, results orientation, and collaboration and has classified these as core values that are integral to fulfilling our mission. The core values apply to all levels and positions in the organization. Each employee is encouraged to find ways to integrate the core values in their day to day work.
- Communicates in a clear, concise manner, communicates effectively verbally and in writing as required; and learns through listening.
- Promotes diversity at GLAD through practice and example and seeks ways to foster diversity within the framework of the position.
- Works in a team dynamic demonstrating leadership, offers good “followship,” offers insight, and shows flexibility in all areas.
- Creates results, meets deadlines, completes tasks in a timely manner, is dependable and accountable for their work and requests help for tasks as needed.
- Collaborates well across job lines, increases lines of communication and fosters cooperation among departments and outside organizations.
Development Operations Assistant
The Development Department supports GLAD’s work through fundraising events, individual donations, and grant funding. We are looking for a data entry specialist who is excited to help raise funds at a fast-paced, progressive non-profit organization.
The Development Operations Assistant provides critical support to the Development Department. They carry out all gift and acknowledgment processes with an eye toward efficiency and industry best practices. The Development Operations Assistant also supports GLAD’s event registration process, helps with onsite event registration, and provides key administrative support to the Development Department. The Development Operations Assistant will build and use a base of knowledge in fundraising and gift processing best practices, Salesforce, and data hygiene.
Gift and data processing
- Accurately and regularly entering all gifts and pledges into Salesforce
- Maintaining gift coding systems and regularly auditing gifts and donor data to check for hygiene and accuracy
- Producing weekly gift report and providing gift backup to FinOps team as needed
- Producing and sending acknowledgment letters in a timely and accurate manner
- Tracking guest and gift information leading up to GLAD events
- Processing returned mail and correcting incorrect addresses
- Assisting with data cleanup, with large scale cleanup projects and individual constituent record edits
- Prepare weekly gift reports for, take notes during, and schedule tasks associated with the Major Gifts Team meetings
- Assist with monthly pledge review process
- Following up with recurring donors with expiring credit cards
- Assisting with tracking donor stewardship in Salesforce, including regular review and cleanup of activities entered through email to Salesforce
- Assisting with donor thank you calls and outreach
- Providing gift-related information to donors and constituents as requested
- Assisting with prospect research
Departmental admin support
- Managing departmental meeting calendar and agenda
- Assisting with scheduling for DOD
- Assisting with departmental mailings
- Serving as a member of GLAD’s back-up reception team, answering phones as needed
- Departmental credit card reconciliation in Quickbooks
- Other support as needed
- Somebody who is interested in working in fundraising and learning more about the operations of fundraising and events
- Somebody who feels passionate about mission-driven work and supporting GLAD’s efforts to end discrimination for the LGBTQ+ community and people living with HIV
- Someone who enjoys working with large quantities of data, has fun learning new Excel tricks, and feels a sense of satisfaction from data cleanup
Skills and Qualifications
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to take direction
- Ability to work collaboratively with a team
- Ability to balance multiple tasks and priorities
- Proactive and willing to show initiative and ask questions
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Comfort doing outreach and spending time on phone; prior donor-facing or customer service experience a plus
- Prior database or experience tracking data preferred; experience in Salesforce desired
- Prior experience working in an office, with nonprofits, or conducting fundraising a plus
Reports to: Manager of Database and Information Systems
To apply: Email resume and cover letter to Erin Semagin Damio at firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Development Operations Assistant”.
Compensation: $40,000 starting salary, excellent benefits include health, dental and long-term disability insurance; 401(k) with employer contribution; three weeks’ vacation; supportive and friendly work environment dedicated to groundbreaking achievements for the LGBTQ+ community and people living with HIV.
GLAD is currently working largely remotely with a limited number of hours on site in the GLAD office in Boston. The hours required in the office are expected to increase as the impact of the pandemic subsides.
ONGOING: Interns are hired on an academic schedule — for the entire school year, an individual semester, or the summer.
Both full- and part-time internships are available.