Transgender ID Project: Updating Your Passport
The process for updating your U.S. passport varies depending on several factors.
If you are only changing your name and already have a valid U.S. passport that was issued more than a year ago, you can apply by mail with a DS-82 form.
If you fit into any of the criteria below, you must apply in-person with a DS-11 form.
- You are changing your gender marker OR
- You are changing both your name and gender marker OR
- You do not have a valid U.S. passport OR
- Your current U.S. passport was issued before you were 16 years old OR
- Your current U.S. passport is more than 15 years old
If you are changing your name with the DS-82 form, you will need:
- A completed DS-82 U.S. Passport Renewal Application for Eligible Individuals form. Download the DS-82 form here.
- Your current, unexpired passport
- A certified copy of your name change order
- Recent color photo of yourself. Find the photo requirements here.
- Applicable fee: Personal check or money order for $110 made out to the “U.S. Department of State.”
Submitting your DS-82 form and documents:
- The DS-82 and supporting documents can be mailed to the address listed on the form.
- You must mail your application and accompanying documents through the United States Postal Service—not UPS, FedEx, or other companies. Once your application has been submitted, you can track your application status online.
- Supporting documents will be mailed back to you after they are processed.
- Processing usually takes 3–4 months. If you need it sooner, consider using expedited service (additional fee applies).
If you are changing your gender marker or name with the DS-11 form, you will need:
- A completed DS-11 U.S. Passport Application form. Download the DS-11 form here.
- Proof of U.S. citizenship, such as a birth certificate. You will need an original or certified copy and a photocopy. The photocopy will not be returned to you.
- A valid photo ID and photocopy of the ID, such as a driver’s license or government employee ID. If you have already legally changed your name, your ID should reflect that change.
- A recent color photograph (no more than 6 months old). Find the photo requirements here.
- Applicable fee: Passport book with standard delivery is $145.
Submitting your DS-11 form and documents:
- The DS-11 and supporting documents must be submitted in person at a local passport center. You can find your local center at https://iafdb.travel.state.gov.
Note about non-binary gender markers:
The State Department allows you to self-select your gender marker on your U.S. passport. Currently, you only have the option to select “M” or “F,” but the State Department is in the process of updating its policy to offer an “X” non-binary gender marker. Click here for State Department updates.
After the policy is enacted, we will have more information about the potential legal barriers or challenges people with non-binary gender markers on their passports may face.
For additional resources, visit the National Center for Transgender Equality’s website. For any additional State Department information, click here.
Updated September 2021