The process for updating your U.S. passport varies depending on several factors.

If you are only changing your name and already have a valid U.S. passport that was issued more than a year ago, you can apply by mail with a DS-82 form.

If you fit into any of the criteria below, you must apply in-person with a DS-11 form.

  • You are changing your gender marker OR
  • You are changing both your name and gender marker OR
  • You do not have a valid U.S. passport OR
  • Your current U.S. passport was issued before you were 16 years old OR
  • Your current U.S. passport is more than 15 years old

Skip to the DS-11 section of this page.

If you want to use an “X” gender marker, please review the latest updates at the bottom of this page.


If you are changing your name with the DS-82 form, you will need:

  • A completed DS-82 U.S. Passport Renewal Application for Eligible Individuals form. Download the DS-82 form.
  • Your current, unexpired passport
  • A certified copy of your name change order
  • Recent color photo of yourself. Review the photo requirements.
  • Applicable fee: Personal check or money order for $110 made out to the “U.S. Department of State.”

Submitting your DS-82 form and documents:

  • The DS-82 and supporting documents can be mailed to the address listed on the form.
    • You must mail your application and accompanying documents through the United States Postal Service—not UPS, FedEx, or other companies. Once your application has been submitted, you can track your application status online.
  • Supporting documents will be mailed back to you after they are processed.
  • Processing usually takes 3–4 months. If you need it sooner, consider using expedited service (additional fee applies).


If you are changing your gender marker or name with the DS-11 form, you will need:

  • A completed DS-11 U.S. Passport Application form. Download the DS-11 form.
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship, such as a birth certificate. You will need an original or certified copy and a photocopy. The photocopy will not be returned to you.
  • A valid photo ID and photocopy of the ID, such as a driver’s license or government employee ID. If you have already legally changed your name, your ID should reflect that change.
  • A recent color photograph (no more than 6 months old). Review the photo requirements.
  • Applicable fee: Passport book with standard delivery is $145.

Submitting your DS-11 form and documents:

  • The DS-11 and supporting documents must be submitted in person at a local passport center. Find your local center.


The State Department updated its policies for gender markers in April 2022.

You can select a non-binary “X” gender marker if you are applying for a U.S. passport book and selecting routine service. The gender you select does not need to match the gender marker on your other ID documents, like your birth certificate, previous passport, or state ID.

In late 2023, you will be able to select “X” gender marker if you are getting a passport card or using expedited service.

The State Department is updating their online form tools to incorporate the “X” gender marker. In the meantime, print the PDF version and complete the form by hand.

For more information, visit the State Department’s gender marker webpage.


You can find more resources on updating your passport from the National Center for Transgender Equality and the State Department.

Updated April 2022