Transgender Shelter Access: Know Your Rights
Everyone, of any gender identity or expression, has the right to be treated with respect and dignity when accessing shelter services.
If you are transgender and accessing shelter services, GLAD believes you have the right to:
- Access shelter services free of discrimination and harassment.
- Access restrooms, showers, dormitories, and other facilities consistent with your gender identity.
- Use and be referred to by names and pronouns consistent with your gender identity.
- Express yourself by wearing gender affirming clothing.
- Keep your transgender status and medical history private.
- Request accommodations for your safety and privacy.
GLAD Answers can also provide this information in printed wallet card. Contact us if you would like copies for yourself or to share!