The Equality Act
The ability to be treated with dignity and respect should never depend on who you are, who you love, or what zip code you call home. It’s time to pass the Equality Act.
TAKE ACTION: Our stories are the most powerful tool we have. Share yours today to support the Equality Act.
- About the Equality Act
- Ways to Take Action
- How GLAD Is Supporting the Equality Act
- GLAD Blogs and Testimony
- Why We Need the Equality Act: Stories in the Press
What Is the Equality Act?
The Equality Act is historic federal legislation that would update and improve our nation’s civil rights laws by including explicit protections for LGBTQ+ people, as well as women, people of color, immigrants, and people of all faiths.
Why do we need it? Because right now, in a majority of states, LGBTQ+ people can still legally be evicted from their homes, kicked out of businesses, removed from a jury, denied government services, and face discrimination in medical treatment – just because of who they are.
Millions of LGBTQ+ Americans remain vulnerable every day, and the Equality Act will fix that. This is a pivotal moment for our community, and for everyone who believes in fairness and equality.
How to Take Action
The Equality Act passed in the House, but we need support in the Senate. Taking action is easy and critically important. We need to keep up the momentum, make sure our Senators know we support the bill, and spread the word.
- Tell your Senators to pass the Equality Act. Call, email, tweet, or fax (yes, fax) your Senator to let them know why it’s so important to pass federal protections. Take action here.
- Share your story. The Equality Act Story Project invites you to share your experiences and explain why this legislation would be meaningful for you and your community. Learn more and participate today.
- Ask 3 friends to take action. Invite your friends, family, coworkers, or neighbors to share their support for the Equality Act. If they want to learn more, feel free to send them to this page or to PassTheEqualityAct.com.
- Volunteer with #EqualityTime. There are plenty of ways to get involved. #EqualityTime gives you the tools to write a letter to the editor of your local paper, join a text or phone bank, and more. Click to get involved.
- Spread the word on social media. We need everyone who cares about equality to take notice. Make sure your social network knows what’s at stake. Find the social media toolkit here.
How Is GLAD Supporting the Equality Act?
GLAD is a proud co-founding member of Freedom & Opportunity For All, a campaign building nationwide support for the Equality Act. The campaign is supported by hundreds of the nation’s top leaders in civil rights, faith, education, health care, and advocacy and over 400 major businesses.
GLAD is also a sponsor of #EqualityTime, an effort lead by the National Equality Action Team to organize supporters to take action for the Equality Act.
GLAD Blogs and Testimony
- GLAD’s Testimony to the Senate Judiciary Committee
- Here’s Why GLAD Supports the Equality Act
- Transgender Troops and Advocates Urge Senate to Pass the Equality Act
- Passing the Equality Act will change LGBTQ lives
- National Leaders Rally in Support of the Equality Act
- GLAD Celebrates House Passage of the Equality Act, Calls on Senate to Take Action this Session
- Now is the Time to Pass the Equality Act
Why We Need the Equality Act: Stories in the Press
- Passing the Equality Act will ensure LGBTQ civil rights | The Boston Globe
- Despite Senate divisions, now is a golden opportunity to pass the Equality Act | The Hill
- LGBTQ advocates must go all in to pass the Equality Act this fall | LGBTQ Nation
- I Live in Fear as a Black Trans Dad—The Senate Can Fix That | Daily Beast
- Opinion: Congress must pass Equality Act to protect my child and all LGBTQ children from discrimination | Morning Journal
- U.S. senators: It’s time to act against anti-LGBTQ discrimination | Washington Blade
- Black Transgender Americans Are Finally Protected In The Military. What About Outside The Ranks? | Blavity
- Uphold the God-given dignity of every American, including LGBTQ people | Sun Sentinel
Share this resource! Help spread the word about why the Equality Act is so important and how to make a difference.