Transgender Family Law
“Some of the most heartbreaking stories I have heard in my career as an LGBT legal advocate involve transgender people in family courts. The rights of transgender people – as parents, spouses, and simply as human beings – are often trammeled in family court because of pervasive bias and misunderstanding. This book is a road map for transgender individuals and their attorneys to navigate the family court system in this evolving area of law.”
– Jennifer L. Levi, a co-editor
Transgender people have unique needs and vulnerabilities in the family law context. Any family law attorney engaged in representing transgender clients must know the ins and outs of this rapidly developing area of law.
Transgender Family Law: A Guide to Effective Advocacy is the first book to comprehensively address legal issues facing transgender people in the family law context and provide practitioners the tools to effectively represent transgender clients.
The chapters address a broad range of topics, including:
- Culturally Competent Representation
- Recognition of Name and Sex
- Relationship Recognition and Protections
- Protecting Parental Rights
- Relationship Dissolution
- Parental Rights after Relationship Dissolution
- Custody Disputes Involving Transgender Children
- Protections for Transgender Youth
- Intimate Partner Violence
- Estate Planning and Elder Law
Transgender Family Law: A Guide to Effective Advocacy is written by attorneys with expertise in both family law and advocacy for transgender clients, and is a must-have, practical guide for attorneys interested in becoming effective advocates for their clients. It is also a valuable resource to consult for any transgender person who is forming, expanding, or dissolving a family relationship.