LGBTQ+ Advocates Condemn Dangerous “Pedophile” Comment Made by Rhode Island Representative
LGBTQ+ Advocates Condemn Dangerous “Pedophile” Comment Made by Rhode Island Representative in Legislative Hearing
As advocates working to support LGBTQ+ youth and adults in Rhode Island, we are greatly alarmed by a comment made by Rhode Island Representative Quattrocchi at last week’s hearing of the House Committee on State Government & Elections, in which he asked Representative Kislak, one of two openly LGBTQ+ representatives in Rhode Island, if she is a “pedophile.”
The resurrection of such dangerous rhetoric based in bias and disinformation is part of what is fueling the flames of increased harassment and violence and a sweeping campaign of legislative attacks targeting LGBTQ+ people – primarily young people – across the country. There is no place for such ugly ignorance in Rhode Island. Committee Chairs have a responsibility to ensure that legislative debate does not devolve into hateful rhetoric.
Rhode Island has been a leader in recognizing and protecting equality for the LGBTQ+ community. The people of this state are proud of that legacy. Our representatives should be working to ensure safety, dignity, and equity for all residents, not perpetuating dangerous, false comparisons that undermine the humanity of LGBTQ+ people.
- Janson Wu, Executive Director, GLBTQ Legal Advocates & Defenders
- Bella Robinson, Executive Director, COYOTE RI
- Rush Frazier, Executive Director, Youth Pride, Inc.
- Thundermist Health Center
- Jodi l Glass, Au.D., Doctor of Audiology; Community Advocate
- Ruth E Horton, M.Ed.
- Alicia Gauvin, Executive Director, SHIP
- LGBTQ Action RI
- Ryan Vigneau, Chief of Staff, RI Queer PAC
- Catherine M. Gorman, Board Chair, Pride in Aging RI
- Colleen Daley Ndoye, Executive Director, Project Weber/RENEW
- Monique P Paul, VP, President Pro Temp, TGI Network of RI Inc
- Gretchen Raffa, Vice President Public Policy, Advocacy and Organizing, Planned Parenthood Votes! Rhode Island
- Jocelyn Foye, The Womxn Project & The Womxn Project Education Fund
- Julio E. Berroa, Executive Director, Haus of Codec
Read A Joint Statement in Support of the LGBTQ+ Community from BLM RI PAC, Economic Progress Institute, Jewish Alliance of Greater Rhode Island, Lighthouse Kosher, Mitzvah Matzos, Rhode Island Board of Rabbis, Rhode Island KIDS COUNT, and Oasis Wellness and Recovery Center of RI.