100+ Rights Groups to Trump: Enforce Civil Rights
GLAD joined The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, along with 99 other national advocacy organizations, in a letter calling on President Trump and his administration to reverse their efforts to undermine the enforcement of civil and human rights.
Our civil and human rights laws are a testament to who we are today as a nation, and the deeply concerning actions by this new administration – namely, the proposed cuts to key civil rights office budgets, the withdrawal of numerous important civil and human rights policies, and the appointment of officials who appear bent on retreating from statutory civil and human rights agency priorities – threaten to erase our tremendous progress toward fairness and equality for all.
We urge the new administration to reverse the disturbing trends toward a rollback of civil rights enforcement by taking the following steps to ensure the safety of all individuals.
- Enforce civil and human rights law to protect vulnerable communities from discrimination.
- Preserve existing civil rights protections policies.
- Nominate and appoint qualified individuals to support civil rights laws.
- Prioritize data collection of existing patterns to improve the accordance of federal hate crimes and nondiscrimination laws.
- Condemn bigotry and violence by establishing a White House hate crime task force to oversee the federal government’s response.
Read the full letter here.