Step by Step Directions for Changing Gender and Name on a New Hampshire Driver License or Non-Driver Identification Card


Download a printable pdf copy of this publication here

For more information, contact GLAD Answers at or 800-455-GLAD.

Change of Gender
The New Hampshire Department of Safety Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) has modernized the criteria to change the gender on your New Hampshire Driver License or Non-Driver Identification Card by removing any requirements of surgery.  The new process instead requires that one of the following health care providers attest to your current gender identity and that in their professional opinion this gender identity will continue for the foreseeable future:

  • Physician
  • Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN)
  • Clinical Social Worker
  • Clinical Mental Health Counselor (NOTE:  The DMV form originally incorrectly listed this as Clinical Medical Health Counselor.

To submit a request for a gender change, you and the health care provider must complete and submit this form . There will be a $10 charge.

Change of Name
If you also wish to change your name on the New Hampshire Driver License or Non-Driver Identification Card, you need to do the following:

  1. File a Name Change Petition at your local probate court.  There will be a charge of $110.  Here are the instructions, and here is the form that you need to submit to the probate court.
  2. Once the name change is approved, you are required to do the following:  Notice that you must inform the DMV within 10 days of having a name change petition approved.
  3. To change the name on your New Hampshire Driver License or Non-Driver Identification Card, you must complete this form and submit it IN PERSON to a DMV office. There is no charge for this.

If you encounter any problems with either changing your name or gender, please contact GLAD Answers at GLAD wants to monitor that these new procedures are being implemented properly, and that you are being treated with respect by the DMV staff.


Contact GLAD Answers by email or live chat at or by phone at 800-455-GLAD (4523).