Transgender ID Project: Massachusetts
The Transgender ID Project is a free resource for transgender people living in New England who want to update their legal name and gender marker on state and federal documents.
Updating your Massachusetts state ID documents
In most cases you do not need to work with a lawyer to update your name or gender marker on ID documents and can typically update these documents fairly easily on your own. The Massachusetts Quick Reference Guide has the information and materials you need to get started. Click here for the guide.
Updating your federal ID documents
You can skip directly to our federal resources here:
Here are links to the forms outlined in the Massachusetts Quick Reference Guide:
Name Change for Adults (page 8)
Name Change for Minors (page 12)
Additional Name Change Forms
- CJP-34 Court Activity Record Information (CARI) and Warrant Management System (WMS) authorization form (page 18)
- Affidavit of Indigency (page 20)
- Affidavit to waive publication requirement (page 23)
Social Security (page 26)
Passport (page 34)
Massachusetts ID (page 50)
Birth Certificate (page 53)
- MTPC’s Identity Document Assistance Network: Support and financial assistance for transgender, non-binary, and gender expansive New Englanders to update their name and/or gender marker on state or federal IDs.
- Gender Affirming Identification Project (GAIP): For adults (18+) who were born in and currently live in Massachusetts seeking administrative and legal assistance with gender affirming changes to federal and state legal ID documentation.
- Identity Affirmation Project: Assistance for transgender, non-binary, and gender nonconforming adults (18+) in the name change or gender marker change processes in Massachusetts.
- Gender Identity Validation Services, Inc. (GIVS): Legal referrals for people living in Western Massachusetts who would like support in the name or gender marker change process.
- ID Documents Center: The National Center for Transgender Equality’s resources hub for name and gender marker change information.
- Changing Your Identity Documents: Resource from the Massachusetts Transgender Political Coalition on updating your ID documents.
- GLAD Answers: GLAD’s free and confidential legal Infoline can provide you with legal resources, information, assistance, and referrals.