Stockman v. Trump
GLAD and NCLR are co-counsel in Equality California‘s lawsuit challenging the transgender military ban, Stockman v. Trump. Equality California is a plaintiff in the suit together with seven individual plaintiffs who are currently serving or have taken steps to enlist.
The three organizations filed a motion for preliminary injunction on October 2, 2017, in the U.S. District Court for Central California to immediately stop the ban and prevent “further irreparable harm” to transgender Americans who are currently serving in the military or have been barred from enlisting. GLAD and NCLR previously filed a motion for preliminary injunction in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia in Doe v. Trump, the first of four lawsuits across the country filed against the Trump Administration’s transgender military ban.
The Department of Justice (DOJ) filed a motion to dismiss and a motion opposing emergency relief in Stockman v. Trump on October 23. GLAD, EQCA, and NCLR slammed the government’s response for ignoring the harms this dangerous policy is inflicting on our nation’s service members and transgender individuals who want to enlist but can’t. Read more.
Plaintiffs filed a response to the Government’s Motion to Dismiss on November 6. A hearing was scheduled in Stockman v. Trump on November 20.
On April 25, 2018, GLAD and NCLR filed our opposition to a Trump-Pence Administration request to dissolve the nationwide preliminary injunction that U.S. District Court Judge Jesus G. Bernal issued on December 22, 2017.
On September 18, 2018, Judge Bernal denied the Government’s motion to dissolve the nationwide preliminary injunction.
Also see www.notransmilitaryban.org for the latest information.
LIST OF CASE DOCUMENTS
- Stockman v. Trump filed complaint
- Motion for Preliminary Injunction
- State of California Motion to Intervene, November 8, 2017
Filing November 6, 2017
- Opposition to Motion to Dismiss
- Supplemental Declarations November 6, 2017:
- Supplemental Declaration of Eric K. Fanning
- Supplemental Declaration of Raymond Edwin Maybus
- Supplemental Declaration of Deborah Lee James
- Supplemental Declaration of George Richard BrownMD
- Declaration of Mark J. Etelberg, Professor Emeritus at the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, California
- Supplemental Declaration of John Doe 1
- Supplemental Declaration of John Doe 2
Original Supporting Declarations
Former Top Military Leaders:
- Retired Admiral and Former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Michael Mullen
- Former United States Secretary of the Army Eric Fanning
- Former United States Secretary of the Navy Raymond Edwin Mabus, Jr.
- Former Secretary of the United States Air Force Deborah Lee James
- Former Acting Under Secretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness Brad Rogers Carson
- Former Deputy Surgeon General for Mobilization, Readiness, and Army Reserve Affairs Margaret Chamberlain Wilmoth