October 29, 2022
Across the country, communities are facing escalating attempts to censor lessons on American history and race, silence classroom discussions of LGBTQ+ people and families, and ban LGBTQ+ books from school and public libraries. These efforts make it more difficult for teachers to educate and deprive students of essential support, information, and skills.
Watch this powerful conversation about the impacts these dangerous laws are already having on students and schools, and strategies for challenging these laws and advancing supportive policies. Together, we can protect public education’s important purpose: to provide all students with the skills, knowledge, and supportive environment they need to thrive in school.
- Nadine Smith, Executive Director at Equality Florida
- Chris Erchull, Staff Attorney at GLBTQ Legal Advocates & Defenders (GLAD)
- Nikole Parker, Director of Transgender Equality at Equality Florida
- Tina Philibotte, Chief Equity Officer for the Manchester School District
- Andres Mejia, Director of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Justice for the Exeter Region Cooperative School District
- Alberto Cairo, journalist and parent of a transgender child in Florida public school
Moderated by Michael Johnson, Chief Legal Strategist at GLAD.
Tina Philibotte and Andres Mejia are also plaintiffs in GLAD’s lawsuit challenging New Hampshire’s school censorship law.
Watch the video:
- Free to Say Gay/Trans | Equality Florida
- GLAD Answers | GLAD’s free, confidential legal infoline for New Englanders
- Mejia v. Edelblut | GLAD lawsuit filed on behalf of panelists Tina Philibotte and Andres Mejia
- Know Your Rights materials for students and educators | GLAD
- Safe Schools for All | Information and resources from GLAD, GLSEN, NCLR, and PFLAG
- Welcoming Schools | HRC
- LGBTQ-inclusive curriculum materials | MA Commission on LGBTQ Youth
- Cultivating Respect publication (en español) | PFLAG
- 2021 National School Climate Survey | GLSEN
- Inclusive Curricular Standards Policies | GLSEN
- Curriculum laws across the country | Movement Advancement Project
- LGBTQ Youth Resources | CDC
News and Media:
- I’m the father of a trans boy in Florida. ‘Don’t say gay’ is working as intended. | Washington Post Opinion by panelist Alberto Cairo
- The People He Needs to Be Hurting: Understanding Ron DeSantis’s crusade against transgender care. | The Bulwark by panelist Alberto Cairo
- Florida’s ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill Will Hurt Teens Like Me | New York Times Guest Opinion by Will Larken
- Opponents Call It the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill. Here’s What It Says. | New York Times
- The Anti-Trans Hate Machine, a podcast miniseries investigation into how anti-trans groups are organized and funded
- Father sues Florida school district over LGBTQ pride flags in classroom | WFLA
- What’s in the so-called Don’t Say Gay bill that could impact the whole country | NPR
If you have questions about your rights in New England, you can contact GLAD’s free, confidential legal infoline, GLAD Answers
Enjoyed the event? Join our email list and check our events page to find future conversations like this!