Volunteer for GLAD Answers
One exciting way to volunteer at GLAD is to join the staff of GLAD Answers. This requires going through either the fall or spring training and then coming into our Boston office one weekday afternoon each week from 1:30 to 4:30 pm. GLAD Answers volunteers provide information and resources to people throughout New England regarding legal issues related to their sexual orientation, HIV status, and gender identity and expression — staffing GLAD Answers is frontline work with people experiencing discrimination, forming families, or seeking benefits and protections under the law. Volunteers receive extensive training in legal issues that affect LGBT individuals and families, and people living with HIV.
As a GLAD Answers volunteer, you will:
- Provide legal information and resources to people seeking help on issues regarding their sexual orientation, gender identity and expression and/or HIV status;
- Help people find their bearings in our complicated legal system;
- Connect people to lawyers in their area, or to other community organizations that will help them stand up for their civil rights;
- Help educate the public about positive legal precedents GLAD wins in the courts; and
- Make a difference in the movement for LGBTQ and HIV civil rights.
How to join GLAD Answers
GLAD trains new volunteers for GLAD Answers two times each year, in spring and fall. No prior legal experience is needed. We ask new trainees to make a commitment to volunteer one weekday afternoon per week from 1:30 - 4:30 pm for about six months. The next training will take place in May 2014. The training dates are: Tuesday, May 13, 5:30-9:30pm, Thursday, May 15, 5:30-9:30pm and Saturday, May 17, 9am-4pm. Volunteers need to attend all three sessions or arrange in advance to makeup any missed session. For an application form and additional information click here.