Skip Header to Content
GLAD Logo GLAD Logo Skip Primary Navigation to Content

Transgender ID Project

Transgender people living in New England (Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island or Vermont) seeking to update their legal name and gender on federal and state documents can receive free legal representation through this rapid-response program.

To sign up, complete the form below or call GLAD Answers at 1-800-455-GLAD.
Transgender ID Project logo

Lawyers from the firms Ropes & Gray LLP and Goodwin Procter LLP, working with GLAD and MTPC, will guide transgender people through the legal process for:
  • Legal name change
  • Social Security card
  • U.S. passport
  • Driver’s license / state-issued identification card
  • Birth certificate

Attorneys may also be able to provide guidance with respect to updating other identification, personal, and commercial documents to reflect proper name and gender (including birth certificates issued outside of New England).

Fill out my online form.

This is a joint project of GLBTQ Legal Advocates & Defenders (GLAD), Ropes & Gray LLP, Goodwin Procter LLP, and Massachusetts Transgender Political Coalition (MTPC).