DOMA Sec 3 Struck Down by Supreme Court
The Supreme Court ruled June 26, 2013 that DOMA Section 3 is Unconstitutional! Read the decision.
If you have specific questions about your situation, please contact GLAD's Legal InfoLine at 800-455-GLAD or www.glad.org/rights.
- Overview: the Supreme Court Ruling on the Defense of Marriage Act: What It Means
El Fallo de la Corte Suprema Sobre la Ley en Defensa del Matrimonio (Doma): Lo Que Significa
Benefits and Protections for Civilian Federal Employees and Their Spouses
Family and Medical Leave Act for Non-Federal Employees
- Federal Taxes; Also see GLAD's publication on Tax Filing
- Los Impuestos Federales
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Note: U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services and the Department of State have issued the following FAQs regarding the ability to apply for a visa for a same-sex spouse after the fall of DOMA:
- U.S. Department of State FAQ
- USCIS FAQ
8/2/13 Announcement from Secretary of State John Kerry on Visa Changes for Same-Sex Spouses: "Effective immediately, when same-sex spouses apply for a visa, the Department of State will consider that application in the same manner that it will consider the application of opposite-sex spouses."
Medicaid en Espanol
Medicare Spousal Protections
- Military Spousal Benefits
- Department of Defense Announcement on the Extension of Benefits to Same-Sex Spouses
- Private Employment Issues and Benefits
Beneficios Por Parte de Empleadores Privados
- Social Security Spousal and Family Protections; Also see GLAD's publication on Social Security
- Protecciones de Seguro Social Para Conyuges y Familia
- Read an update from the Social Security Administration
- Social Security Administration Update: Windsor Same-Sex Marriage Claims
Supplemental Security Income for Aged, Blind, and Disabled (SSI)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
Asistencia Temporal Para Familias Necesitadas (TANF)
Veteran’s Spousal Benefits
Read Attorney General Holder's Letter to Congress announcing extension of Veterans Benefits to same-sex married couples.
Note: The IRS and U.S. Treasury Department issued an announcement August 29, 2013 that all legally married same-sex couples will be able to file federal taxes as married, regardless of the state they live in. Read the IRS ruling here. Read the IRS FAQ for married same-sex couples here.
Amicus Strategy: GLAD coordinated the amicus strategy for the DOMA case, Windsor v. U.S. at the Supreme Court, and those briefs, as well as party briefs, can be found here.
GLAD brought two challenges to DOMA, Gill v. OPM and Pedersen v. OPM. Read more about these cases below.
Meet Our Plaintiffs
Gay & Lesbian Advocates & Defenders (GLAD) has launched a new website to empower young LGBTQ and HIV positive people in New England with valuable information about their legal rights in school,...
Updated Legal Information Service Provides Answers to LGBTQ Community & Those Living with HIV
Gay & Lesbian Advocates & Defenders today unveiled “GLAD Answers”, an updated version of its venerable Legal InfoLine. GLAD Answers is an information and referral service that GLAD has run since...