After DOMA: What it Means For You - LGBT Organizations Fact Sheet Series
In the wake of the US Supreme Court’s historic decision to strike down Section 3 of the discriminatory Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA), GLAD has joined with ten other national LGBT advocacy organizations to issue this series of factsheets to provide guidance for navigating access to federal rights, benefits, and protections.
After DOMA: What it Means For You: LGBT Organizations Fact Sheet Series details many of the ways federal agencies accord legal respect to married same-sex couples.
If you have specific questions about your situation, please contact GLAD's Legal InfoLine at 800-455-GLAD or www.glad.org/rights.
Read Attorney General Holder's Letter to Congress announcing extension of Veterans Benefits to same-sex married couples.
- Overview: the Supreme Court Ruling on the Defense of Marriage Act: What It Means
- El Fallo de la Corte Suprema Sobre la Ley en Defensa del Matrimonio (Doma): Lo Que Significa
- Benefits and Protections for Civilian Federal Employees and Their Spouses
- Family and Medical Leave Act for Non-Federal Employees
- Federal Taxes
- Note: The IRS and U.S. Treasury Department issued an announcement August 29, 2013 that all legally married same-sex couples will be able to file federal taxes as married, regardless of the state they live in. Read the IRS ruling here. The IRS has also prepared an FAQ for married same-sex couples, which is available here.
- The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Note: U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services and the Department of State have issued the following FAQs regarding the ability to apply for a visa for a same-sex spouse after the fall of DOMA:
- U.S. Department of State FAQ
- USCIS FAQ
- 8/2/13 Announcement from Secretary of State John Kerry on Visa Changes for Same-Sex Spouses: "Effective immediately, when same-sex spouses apply for a visa, the Department of State will consider that application in the same manner that it will consider the application of opposite-sex spouses."
- Medicaid en Espanol
- Medicare Spousal Protections
- Military Spousal Benefits
- Department of Defense Announcement on the Extension of Benefits to Same-Sex Spouses
- Private Employment Issues and Benefits
- Beneficios Por Parte de Empleadores Privados
- Social Security Spousal and Family Protections
- Protecciones de Seguro Social Para Conyuges y Familia
- Read an Update from the Social Security Administration
- Supplemental Security Income for Aged, Blind, and Disabled (SSI)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- Asistencia Temporal Para Familias Necesitadas (TANF)
- Veteran’s Spousal Benefits
These fact sheets were produced together by: American Civil Liberties Union, Center for American Progress, Family Equality Council, Freedom to Marry, Gay & Lesbian Advocates & Defenders, Human Rights Campaign, Immigration Equality, Lambda Legal, National Center for Lesbian Rights, National Gay and Lesbian Task Force and OutServe-SLDN.
This post has no comments.Commenting is not available in this channel entry.